Food and Herbs That Improve Insulin Sensitivity
IN THIS EPISODE:
Why Insulin Sensitivity is Crucial
Addressing Insulin Sensitivity is important considering that a significant portion of the population is insulin resistant. That is why I highlight the signs of insulin resistance, such as excess weight around the middle, fatigue, sugar cravings, and more. Knowing this information allows you to assess your clients and give them the proper care and support they need to address their Insulin issues.
Foods and Herbs to Support Insulin Sensitivity
There are various foods and herbs known to support insulin sensitivity. Some examples are cinnamon, chocolate or carob, maitake mushroom, turmeric, and oregano. Each of these have benefits and help support insulin sensitivity when taken properly. Here are in-depth examples:
- Cinnamon – due to its properties that help improve the sensitivity of cells to insulin. It is recommended as a simple addition to the diet, making it an easily accessible and flavorful option. Cinnamon is known to be beneficial for individuals dealing with insulin resistance or early-stage insulin resistance symptoms.
- Avocado – Avocado is praised for its ability to lower glucose levels relatively quickly. The chemical mannoheptulose present in avocados is identified as a constituent that aids in improving insulin sensitivity. Avocado is versatile and can be consumed in various ways, making it a practical and delicious addition to the diet.
- Blueberries – Blueberries are highlighted as fruits with a low glycemic index, making them suitable for individuals looking to restore insulin sensitivity. While individual responses may vary, blueberries are recommended, especially after a metabolic reset, as a tasty and beneficial option. They are versatile and can be mixed with various foods like coconut yogurt or chia porridge.
Important ReInvent Healthcare Links
- Access Additional Resources for Practitioners ready to improve clinical outcomes through our Nutritional Endocrinology Practitioner Training.
- Visit the ReInvent Healthcare site to check out other podcast episodes and resources to support you in empowering your clients health recovery journeys
- Check out my Insulin Resistance Course here.
- Check out the Reverse Belly Fat checklist here.