The Link Between Oral Health and Cardiovascular Disease with Dr. Ellie Campbell
IN THIS EPISODE:
Oral Health and Cardiovascular Disease
Oral care can significantly impact cardiovascular disease through a complex interplay of factors. Poor oral hygiene and gum disease can lead to chronic inflammation in the mouth, which may release inflammatory molecules into the bloodstream. Harmful bacteria from the mouth can also enter the bloodstream, potentially contributing to the formation of arterial plaque and triggering immune responses
The body’s immune response to oral infections can lead to increased production of white blood cells and inflammatory markers, promoting atherosclerosis and clot formation. Also, oral health can influence existing cardiovascular conditions, such as increasing the risk of bacterial endocarditis in individuals with heart valve issues. That is why maintaining good oral hygiene and addressing oral health concerns can play a crucial role in reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease.
Importance of Biomarkers
Biomarkers play a vital role in understanding the relationship between oral care and cardiovascular disease. These biomarkers provide measurable indicators of the body’s response to oral health and can help identify potential risks and underlying mechanisms.
Some biomarkers to take note of are Lp-PLA2 as well as Myeloperoxidase. These biomarkers can provide clues to the presence of dental infections and inflammation.
Collaboration between Medical and Dental Practitioners
In order to address the oral-systemic connection, there is a need for a collaboration between medical doctors and dentists. By working together, we can identify and treat dental conditions that may contribute to cardiovascular risk and improve the overall health of our clients.
Dr. Ellie Campbell Links
- Grab a copy of Dr. Ellie Campbell’s book here.
- Visit Dr. Ellie Campbell’s website here.
- Learn about the Campbell Family Medicine group here
- Follow Dr. Ellie Campbell on Facebook here.
- Check out the Campbell Family Medicine Facebook page here.
ReInvent Healthcare Links
- Get our FREE Guide to Taking a Detailed Health History that gets you to root causes.
- Access Additional Resources for Practitioners ready to improve clinical outcomes through our Nutritional Endocrinology Practitioner Training.
- Visit my ReInvent Healthcare site to check out other episodes that will be beneficial to you and your clients.
- Attend SHINE Conference 2023: Genetics, Assessments, and Nutritional Strategies for Optimal Cardiovascular Function where Dr. Ellie will be speaking, along with Dr. Joel Kahn Dr. Alan Hopkins, Dr, Christy Sutton, and more.