The Metabolic Effects of Fasting
Welcome to the second episode of the ReInvent Healthcare podcast, a show for wellness practitioners who are passionate about making a difference. We are discussing one of the most misguided pieces of advice given to people suspected of having blood sugar imbalance. We also share the benefits of Fasting and Intermittent Fasting for metabolic health. I’m sure you’ve heard about Intermittent Fasting before, but we’re diving into the science behind why it works and how it can change lives. Let’s disrupt this broken system together and reinvent healthcare.
IN THIS EPISODE:
- [00:13] What most people suspected of blood sugar imbalance are told to do, and why Dr. Ritamarie believes it’s wrong.
- [01:47] What metabolically happens when a person eats every two to three hours.
- [03:16] Dr. Ritamarie discusses the biochemistry behind why, for many patients, hunger and cravings still persist after a big meal.
- [06:58] How physicians can use intermittent fasting with patients who are metabolically unwell.
- [09:24] What happens when someone fasts for more than 16 hours?
- [16:42] Why it’s important for doctors to test for “pre-insulin resistance” before jumping to a diagnosis or waiting for metabolic unwellness to happen to them.
- One of the most misguided pieces of information and advice given to people suspected of blood sugar imbalance is to eat frequent meals. This is only a temporary band aid on the real issue, not a long-term solution to the problem.
- Insulin is an anabolic hormone, meaning it’s a storage hormone. When food is constantly available, through frequent meals throughout the day, insulin puts the brakes on fat burning, so weight loss is often stalled.
- Fasting and intermittent fasting are phenomenal for helping people restore their metabolic health.
- ReInvent Healthcare
- The Sweet Spot Solution
- Learn more about our practitioner training here
- Insulin Resistance Practitioner Training
- The Many Faces of Fasting
- Metabolic Syndrome – The Most Common Disease You’ve Never Heard Of
- Inflammation: The Silent Killer
- The Pain & Glory of Metabolic Flexibility
- Fasting: A Cautionary Tale
- 7 Secrets to Hormone Balance, Energy and Mental Clarity: The Body Freedom Pillars