Is Nicacin Flushing Good For You?
IN THIS EPISODE:
Importance of the Flushing Form for Lipid Management
The flushing form of niacin, specifically nicotinic acid, is crucial for lipid management, including controlling cholesterol and lipoproteins. The flushing effect is essential for the vasodilation effects that help in controlling lipoproteins. I also emphasize that the non-flushing form does not work effectively for this purpose. That is why it is good to understand the different forms of niacin.
Proper Dosing and Tolerance
Achieving the therapeutic benefits of niacin requires careful dosing and gradual increases. Starting with a low dose and gradually increasing it while monitoring for flushing effects is crucial and something I always recommend. With that, I suggest starting with a powdered form of niacin and increasing the dose slowly over time. Compliance may be a challenge due to the discomfort associated with the flushing, but I advise my clients to give it some time, see how it goes, and check the results after.
Potential Benefits Beyond Lipid Management
I go over the potential benefits of niacin beyond lipid management, including its role in depression, energy production, and even its potential impact on conditions like Reynaud’s syndrome. I have seen clients experiencing potential improvements in Reynaud’s symptoms with increased niacin intake, so I suggest trying it out with clients with similar conditions to see what works for them.
Important ReInvent Healthcare Links
- Access Additional Resources for Practitioners ready to improve clinical outcomes through our Nutritional Endocrinology Practitioner Training.
- Visit the ReInvent Healthcare site to check out other podcast episodes and resources to support you in empowering your clients health recovery journeys
- Check out the Reynaud’s Study here.
- The Study on Niacin in Relation To Depression.
- Get yourself a copy of Niacin: The Real Story here.