Functional Foods for Bone Health With Karen Osborne
This week's episode focuses on functional food for bone health. Our guest, Karen Osborne, is an expert in bone health and the power of food and fitness to strengthen bones. Bone health is crucial in order to sustain a healthy and strong body into our later years. Bones need the right kind of nourishment and most people who are over the age of 50 have bones that are becoming weak and frail. Tune in to discover what nutrients are required to support a healthy bone matrix and some of the foods that Karen teaches her clients to support that. Find out health practitioners can empower their clients in their relationship with food for bone health.
IN THIS EPISODE:
- [8:00] Strengthening bones with foods, and the many layers in bones.
- [12:00] Sources of Vitamin K
- [15:00] Recipes for bone health
- [21:00] Exercises to support bones and muscles
- [25:13] What we can do to assist people to protect the bones from an early age.
- We’re able to strengthen the inner layer of our bones by the foods we eat, and calcium and phosphorus are the major components.
- Plant based foods may be better to eat for calcium absorption, rather than dairy.
- In the United States, it’s estimated that 54% of post-menopausal women are osteopenic and an additional 30% are already considered osteoporotic. By age 80, 27% of women are considered to have osteopenia and 70% are osteopathic.
- The importance of exercise for bone health and how holding certain stretches for 30 seconds or longer supplies the stress on the bones that they need to stimulate the breakdown and then subsequent growth.
- My Food Fitness and Fun
- Bone Chart
- Functional Food Guide
- NEPT: Nutritional Endocrinology Practitioner Training
- The False Gods of Food Religions
- The Real Cost of Healthcare
- Identifying Food Sensitivities: The Missing Piece
- Food Sensitivity Detection: When Perceived Failure Is True Success
- The Real way to Get Results with a Provocation Protocol
- Little Miracles Everywhere: Plant Phytonutrients
- The Food Matrix and the Future of Nutritional Research
- Believing Isn’t Always Seeing! The Power of Functional Food
- The Health Benefits of Polyphenols in Restoring Balance
- Phytonutrients— There’s More Than Meets the Eye